Kebabs are one of the most loved delicacies around the world irrespective of people’s nationalities and their tastes. The intermingling of the succulent meat and the flavour of charcoal gives kebabs a distinctly different taste. And when we think of kebabs it would be unfair not to talk about tandoori chicken which is undoubtedly the most popular kebab recipe of all times.
The traditional tandoori chicken is made in a clay oven with charcoal but you can make it easily over a gas hob or even your oven at home. This delicately spiced chicken kebab is the perfect starter to any meal and will have your guests asking for more.
Preparation Time: 8 hours
Cooking Time: 1 hour approximately
Ingredients Required For Tandoori Chicken
1 kg chicken cut into pieces
1 cup of plain yogurt
1tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp onion paste
1 tbsp papaya juice
1 tbsp red chilli powder
1 teaspoon biryani masala or garam masala
A few drops kewra water for flavoring
½ teaspoon ground black pepper for seasoning
½ teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
Salt as per requirement
Oil or butter for basting the chicken
Orange or yellow food coloring (optional)
Method Of Preparation For Tandoori Chicken
1. The first step for tandoori chicken is to clean the meat and strip off its skin and fat. The pieces should be lean for making excellent kebabs. Wash them clean and prick them so that they absorb the juices better. Now add the papaya juice to the chicken and keep it aside for 10 minutes. You can skip adding the papaya juice, but it helps make the meat tender and juicy.
2. Now you need to prepare the marination for the chicken. Add the dry spices into the yogurt and mix well. Now add the ginger garlic paste and the biryani masala and beat it well. You can add a few drops of yellow or orange food coloring so that your tandoori chicken gets the ideal color.
Relish Tasty Indian Chicken Recipes
Tandoori Spices Which Make Chicken Delectable
Delicious And Popular Tandoori Chicken Recipe
Delicious Chicken Satay Recipe
3. After you have mixed in all the spices add the meat pieces which have been smeared with papaya juice. Smother the chicken pieces with the marinade so that all the pieces will be flavored equally well. Cover the bowl with a cellophane paper and keep it aside. You need to keep the chicken marinated overnight for it to acquire the flavours. If you are planning to make it for dinner you can marinate it in the morning.
4. Place the chicken pieces on a skewer in the oven and cook at 450 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Occasionally keep basting it with butter so that it stays moist. You can otherwise cook it over the grill rack for 45 minutes till the chicken it done.
5. The basting process is extremely important as it ensures that the chicken does not become dry and chewy.
6. After your tandoori chicken is ready, serve the pieces on a rustic Indian serving dish with a dollop of cream and a wedge of lemon at the side.
7. Indians usually have tandoori chicken with lovely mint chutney which you can purchase from a supermarket if available.
8. Serve this delicious and simple kebab to your family and friends and watch them light up!